Friday, June 22, 2012

Radnar

Ok so most people don't like running. And i'm kinda with you. its not my favorite activity but i do enjoy it. Anyway We finished ragnar last saturday after 197 miles from Logan UT, to Park City UT. And let me Tell you It was Fabulous. So many stories so little sleep. I really wanted to die at one point but overall a wonderful experience. We already signed up for next year which is there 10 yr anniversary so hopefully even more fun. Our team Finished 167th out of almost 700 teams in our category and 200 something overall either way we were in the top 25% overall and top 20 in our categorie. I feel that gives us some bragging rights. Well not really me but our other runners. We finished with a time of 31 hr and 29 min. Kurtis' Dad who is the oldest one on our team ran Ragnar hill which is the toughest part of the course and also how the race got its name. He ran the enitre thing and finished in the top half of the runners in our category.

Kurtis ran a consistant 10 min pace. makes me so mad he can go out and do that without training. Not fair. He had his longest race first 7.6 miles and did just fine. In fact as we were talking after we got home he said that was his favorite leg and it even had a big hill in it. His second was 3 something i think and he didn't like it. But was all joyous after his last i think it was 3 something too. As we were in different vans i didn't get to see him much except at exchange 6, exchange 19 and for a little bit in the tent whe i got to go sleep for a few hrs. Then at the end. But he was willing to do it again next year so thats always a good sign. And were thinking about doing Las Vegas next year too. So we can get the Saints and Sinners Medal too.

My first run was well i think i know how hot hell is. I ran at about 2 in the afternoon and even though it was only 3.4 miles i thought my feet were going to burn off at one point. i also took off way to fast i started at probably a 8 1/2 min pace when i reached a 2.4 i was at about a 9 1/2 pace and then i died my last mile. It also had 2 hills in it i wasn't really expecting and Lucky me as soon as janet came around the corner to give me the slap bracelet i had to pee so i ran the whole thing needing to pee.

My next run was by far my Favorite. it was 7.1 mostly down hill at night. And way up in the hills so you could see the starts. it was wonderful there were a few times that i was out of site of anyone in front of me and icouldn't see the lights from anyone behind me and it was beautiful it kinda reminded me of home in the summer. The only part i didn't like of this run was when i got down my 6 mile hill and had to cross the road at a quarter to midnight the lady taking care of this part told me to hurry up and get across the road. There was nooooo one comeing and i was the one running this so. lol. anyway i didn't even mind the hill at the end although i did have to walk over part of the over pass cuz well i got scared when i should feel and see the cars going under me. Other than that it was amazing.

My last leg was Horrible. Little Sleep was fine being tire was ok, but i had gotten a stitch in my side(side ache) after my last leg and figured it would go away but well it never did. So about a mile into my 5.4 mile run i was having a hard time getting a deep breath. Kevin (kurtis' brother) Gave me some tips on how to make it go away but it only eased slightly. Thanks so much to my Van for all the support. They offered a few times to have someone finish for me but i wanted to know that i did it all myself. If i could have actually run it it would have been nicer cuz it started getting hot out again as i was running at around 10 in the morning. anyway i also had decided to wear shorts this run bad Bad BAD idea. I started to chafe around mile 2 and at around mile 4 i started to get a blister on my foot. Oh and in this race they have these very very deceiving 1 mile to go markers i really think they need to put them at a half a mile in cuz it make one mile seem like FOREVER. anyway at my last one i went about 150 ft and then had to climb a hill. The good thing was my side ache started to ease up bad news i was already mentally and physically dead by this point. i just kept looking at the people in front to me for where the exchange was. Thanks to whoever you are that passed me and gave me a high five you made me pick it up and keep going. At the final exchange i sprinted as best i could and then pretty much collapsed. I ended up hyper ventalating cuz i couldn't breath and that scared me so i tried harder and ended up crying anyway thanks to Janet and my team for calming me down and helping me throught that run.

So here's to getting in better shape for next year so it will all be a breeze. Oh and i still have my side ache. I went to the dr a few days ago and he said i either developed a kidney stone or i pulled the mucsle in my diaphram so it will be a while before it gets better. But Bring it on Ragnar!!!