Thursday, April 3, 2008

little scare

So tuesday night i had a bit of a scare. I was getting these sharp pains in my stomach and the little turd (i've so affectionatly started calling my son who is obviously taking after his father already) was moving so much that it hurt more. they've been monitoring me pretty cautiously for preeclampsia (toxemia) for the duration of my pregnancy and with the swelling i had around easter we've been trying to be really careful. They had told me before that if i started to get cramping or stomach pains to first try some tums or some sort of ant acid so did. Unfortunatly it didn't do a thing. so i decided it might be just gas and decided to take a warm bath and kinda stick it out. we ended up going to bed early and at about 4:30AM it started to feel better. By morning i still had a bit of pain right at the bottom of my rib cage. now first of all that night i'm sitting there going through one of my pregnancy books trying to figure out whats going on. Let me tell you something how are you supposed to know what any of these things feel like unless you've experienced them!!! anyway... so i wake up in the morning still in a little pain and decide i need to call my dr to make sure everything is ok. Of course being a girl and a country girl at that i think the first thing we all do is call our mothers. Not to mention that my mom did have toxemia with me so if that is whats going on she would kinda be able to explain what everything feels like. to make a long story short mom thinks it could be the baby just pushing on a nerve or gas something like that but tells me if it countinues to hurt to call the dr. So after i get off the phone i called the dr. They told me it could have been braxton hicks contractions, could be a sign of preeclampsia but since i haven't had any of the other symptoms of it for the last little bit and i have a dr appointment next wednesday that just to monitor if i get any swelling or blurry vision to come in immediately. or that it could just be gas, and to take some more pepto. They basically told me that with any of these the best thing to do is to relax lay down with your feet up and drink lost of water. most of these things can be brought on my dehydration and stress so i needed to take the day off and not do anything.

So yesterday i layed on my back at our apartment all by myself all day being annoyed at daytime television. i don't know how much of a de stresser that was but no pain yet today....

6 comments:

Rebecca Susan said...

Yowzer!! Sounds like its time to send Kurtis out with a big list of movies and books that you want. You've got to have something to do while they make you just lie around!

Callie said...

It is amazing how these little ones can give us such a scare! I'm glad you are feeling better today. It is so rough having to lay around and rest. The past month or so has been torture in that since.

As for knowing what things are during pregnancy, I agree! They throw out all these terms and symptoms, but most of them are completely foreign. I had no idea what a contraction felt like until recently...even now there are times that I wonder, "Is that Kaden just moving aggressively? Is that built up gas in my tummy? That kind of feels like a mentral cramp." It is all so confusing! :)

Hang in there...you are getting closer and in the end, it'll be so worth it! I'm so excited for you! Babies are such a blessing!

...Laura... said...

I was going to say the same thing as Becky- You'd better send Kurtis to rent a whole bunch of movies for you! My book recommendation, if you haven't read them yet- is 'Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer ... They're really fast reading and addicting. I'm reading them through for the second time right now. Also- when I was pregnant and having back pains and laying around, Dirk signed us up for the Blockbuster all access pass- so we had new movies constantly coming to our door- I love that- and we still use it- totally worth it! Do what the doctor says and take it easy! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
...Laura... said...

Sam- when again is your due date??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.